Situated just 10 miles away from prehistoric Stonehenge is a medieval fortress. Built in the late 11th century, today only ruins and earthworks remain.
The first castle was probably built by Edward of Salisbury, Sheriff of Wiltshire. Ludgershall Castle was set within two adjacent enclosures surrounded by earthwork banks and ditches. The northern enclosure contained the most important buildings, including the great hall, a tower and royal domestic apartments. Whilst the southern enclosure had timber buildings including the castle farm, stables and kitchens.
In 1210, King John repaired and improved the castle which was later inherited by his son King Henry III, who also made further improvements. The remains of the medieval cross stand in the centre of the village.